It's that time of year again when we are searching for gifts for those special people in our lives. It's easy for us to jump to some of our go to shops and go to gifts when this time rolls around. We buy up large amounts of hand lotions, sanitizers with sparkles in it, candles, bath bombs, body washes and the list goes on. When we look closer at these items though, we may want to go a different direction this year.
Let's dive into some of the ingredients:
- Isopropyl Alchohol: This ingredient is found in lotions, bath products, makeup and other personal care products. Where is it also found? How about anti-freeze. It strips the skin of natural oils and protection and can also lead to headaches, dizziness, nausea and vomiting and is highly flammable.
- Tetrasodium EDTA: is a known skin and lung irritant and contains formaldehyde.
- Disodium EDTA: a neurotoxin that has been linked to brain damage as well as liver changes in animals.
- Triclosan: yes, you know this one well. Initially produced as a pesticide, it is still common in body lotions and soaps and has contributed to antibiotic resistant germs.
- Fragrance: we know, we like when things smell nice too but this is not the way to go. Fragrances are one of the leading ingredients that cause skin reactions. They are filled with harmful chemicals that they don't have to disclose to you. It's best to avoid them all together.
- Microbeads: once loved, these little additives are slowly becoming banned. Used as an exfoliant, these little beads linger in our environment and can be harmful to aquatic life.
- Diazolidinyl Urea: more formaldehyde for our body, hard pass. Formaldehyde can irritate the respiratory system, cause skin reactions, trigger heart palpations, immune system toxicity, and cancer in humans. People have also experienced cause joint pain, headaches, dizziness, loss of sleep and chronic fatigue. Fun fact, formaldehyde is a known carcinogen found in Johnson and Johnson baby care products as well.
- Methylparaben and Propylparaben: these have been directly linked to breast cancer. They can also cause negative reproductive damage like early puberty and hormone imbalances.
- Parabens: a cheap preservative used in many of these products to increase the shelf life of a product.
- Ceterareth-20: this actually increases the absorption of many other chemicals. Chemicals are already absorbed into our bloodstream in under a minute... no help required.
- Paraffin Wax: in addition to many of the above ingredients, most candles are made of paraffin wax. This is a petroleum waste product that is chemically bleached. When burned, toxins are released into the air for us to breathe. This can cause dizziness, headaches, asthma attacks, allergy symptoms, respiratory infections and even cancer. There are better candle options available if you are trying to make the switch.
We know, these products are pretty and they smell nice, but swap them out for a healthier alternative this season. Whether you are filling your own stocking or a friends, opt for products that contain ingredients you can feel good about gifting and using. Those ingredients will be absorbed in 20 seconds and have lasting effects on our bodies, so take care with that choice.
If you are looking for some inspiration, be sure to check our our gift options HERE and enjoy the free shipping we offer on ALL U.S. orders!